Tuesday, November 12, 2013

And Not a Single Fuck Was Given...

How We Used to Be
Today I was told:

Shut the fuck up.

What the fuck?

Don’t even fucking talk to me. 

How We Are Now
Three different students, one of them not even mine, just a kid bounced to my trailer for misbehavior. Three different pieces of profanity.

As I nonchalantly mentioned the fact to another TFA teacher during lunch, she thought nostalgically back on the days of our innocence.

“Remember when that wasn’t normal? I would have wigged out if someone said that to me outside the school… Now I’m just like, whatever. But I have noticed my road rage is getting out of hand.”

I laughed and agreed that we are becoming inured to profanity. Then I went back to my trailer and watched my students perform skits of Napoleon’s life. In the middle, an administrator came by on a walkthrough. I couldn’t help but chuckle secretly when she hauled a student off for cursing at her as she told him to raise his head off his desk—welcome to the monkey house.

And then the bell rang and my dearest students stayed to tell me about their thanksgiving plans or upcoming band parades or baseball tryouts, and I walked out of my classroom high and pure and free, leaving it all behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment