Sunday, March 2, 2014

Glutenberg and Heterocentric Theories

Students preparing for their Renaissance test raced to write the answers on the board.

Who invented the printing press?
Glutenberg.

So apparently Glutenberg is a thing. Just not the thing
that inspired the printing press...
What is the name of idea that the sun is the center of the universe?
Heterocentricism.

Why is Ms. W laughing? 
I dunno, maybe she's glad we're so prepared for the test.

In the actual test, they were quiet and intent. I’ve taught my blocks sign language early on this semester, and kids were signing for paper, pencils, and tissues with glee. I have not taught them the signs for A, B, C, or D, but I do worry that the smarter kids will take it to the next logical level.

Students have begun to behavior narrate me. They keep up a running commentary, especially a group of girls who sit up front in my 2nd block and keep me giggling internally. When I asked them some questions before the test, I was super-psyched to see they knew the answers, and they kept saying, “watch Ms. W! See how excited she gets when she sees we know it!” When I made a joke about the massive bruises on my arm (from donating blood) being from my drug problem, they drily commented, “she thinks she’s so funny.” But they’re funny too; one beckoned me over in the middle of a clip on Aztec human sacrifice involving extracting a beating heart to say, “so, Ms. W, they were heartless?” 

Our next unit is on the Age of Exploration: European exploitation of Africa and South America. Since we started with Greece and Rome, I'm taking a week out of the curriculum to cover early empires in Africa and South America. I'm super-excited to see the kids covering the rich civilizations on both continents before they plunge into European colonization-- I think they'll get into their research with a readier heart. Also, kids always trip over finding out that humanity started out in Africa-- why aren't we all black then, Ms. W? I'm going to take advantage of that curiosity and assign it to them in a reading. They'll only read stuff they really want to know, and I think this fits the category well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment