Thursday, September 3, 2015

Syrians, Israelis, Palestinians, and Everybody Else

“So. You asked that we cover a current event each time we meet. You guys will pick them from now on, but for today I chose one right near us that is critical and I think one of the most important things in the world right now. Here are pictures of Kos, Greece, where 140,000 Syrian refugees have arrived since the start of the Syrian conflict.” I showed the class a picture of people waiting to be processed, of a young girl smushed in a crowd, of a circle of men protecting a young woman with a baby from the crowd. 

“What is the international responsibility for refugees?”

As students answered, they for some reason automatically identified their home country. In a conversation about borders, even the most sympathetic automatically became nationalists.

“As a German, I think we are inexcusably racist. Imagine it was your family…”

“In my country, where I am a Polish, I think they’re suffering in the refugee camps and shouldn’t come to countries where there aren’t enough resources for the citizens. They just want free money…”

“I’m Dutch, and I visited the refugees in my village, and believe me, if they wanted free money, they wouldn’t do it this way…”

“I’m Palestinian, and I think the world is pretty much based on capitalism, and the market won’t accept refugees, there’s no financial benefit, so people don’t care like they should…”

“I’m from Moldova, and people in countries where refugees are coming are suffering, like Turkey, the Turkish are suffering from the refugee problem…”

“I’m Turkish, and I’m not suffering. I’m proud of my country. I’m proud that we’re helping…”

“I’m Israeli, and Student X and I” (gestures across the room at a Palestinian student) “went to south Tel Aviv at the beginning of this week and helped with the refugees from the Sudan and Eritrea that are there, and we saw how hard it is for them but also people who live there are not happy to have them…”

It was difficult not to identify their opinions with their nationalities. I closed out the discussion with the questions from Hillel: If I am not for myself, who is for me? If I am only for myself, what am I? What are we as people if we see suffering and don’t reach out to help?

Next week, the Polish student will lead a discussion on body image and models. I am looking forward.

So, my school is a small model UN. The largest contingents are of course Israeli and Palestinian, since the mission of the school is peace here, but students come from Albania, China, Brazil, the Sudan, Yemen, Vietnam, Morocco, Austria, Afghanistan, etc, and there’s even a Ghanaian student from Denmark who got incredibly excited when I spoke to her in Norwegian.

The one American approached me today for a heart-to-heart conversation about retaining her values in the midst of so much cultural chaos, and in the comfort of our conversation I was reminded of how much ease cultural knowledge provides. My sister gave me an example from a Palestinian writer who moved to America and said that when he enters a restaurant there, he feels blind—in Israel he would immediately understand all of the subtext of the workers and words. Living internationally I feel muffled at times, as though I’ve lost one of my senses—all of the intuitive culture knowledge I have in America is suddenly gone. But that’s the point, and slowly but surely I’m becoming culturally literate here.

I’m the personal mentor for about twenty second-year students. Their issues are both your typical teenage issues, and also unique. There’s the student who thinks he’s too cool and so has nobody he can confide in, the student who hasn’t seen his home or family in a year because flights cost too much, the student who came to Israel from Palestine thinking he was going to get the education Israel owed him and now says his views of Israelis are complicated and softened, the other kid whose family can’t tell the secret of where he is since if it was known he was in Israel, they’d be in danger, the kid who speaks every language and quietly straddles peer groups, the kid who spoke for a solid half hour about school stress, and the kid who wanted to know whether he could eat the food in the teacher’s lounge.

The staff here are a delightful motley. Our principal has masses of positive energy—today she left the staffroom and then returned a second later to wish me a good weekend with more force—she felt she hadn’t said it with enough heartfelt strength the first time. I’ve buddied up with the British biology teacher my age who made aliyah at the same time I did and whose dry British common sense is like an oasis in the midst of Middle Eastern emoting. I eat lunch every day with the Palestinian economics teacher whose son is in my English class and who has a rare soul of genuinely kind humor. We’re planning the Christmas pageant together; who better than a Jew and a Muslim to organize it? There’s also the conservative American expat, the blended Israeli+insert nationality teachers, the wise IB grandma, and the bubbly Israeli natives. It’s odd to work in such a functional environment.

My classes: I’m teaching a second-year English Language & Literature course in which the students are beginning to subside from panic to appreciative trust. Today they started to review their course texts through the lenses of historical methods of literary criticism. They are very, very intelligent and driven, and while I couldn’t help but feel sorry for the poor suckers who picked post-structuralism, they didn’t go into it blind, and listening to one explain it to the other in a pedantic Israeli accent gave me mad kicks.

Our campus
I administered a diagnostic to my higher-level class. Around 30 kids crammed into a room that used to be an office, and scratched out essays on an excerpt for an hour. In my standard level, students jumped up to figure out who had the other half of their quote, and I was delighted to watch them milling and meeting and trying to guess. As they went around the room introducing themselves and explaining their quote, I was also able to do some basic gauging of their English verbal and reading skills: highly varied. We had a good talk about what respect looks like and what they’re going to do with their one wild and precious life (Mary Oliver as first writing assignment for the win). At the end of the class, we were all energized. Man, but I’ve missed teaching.

I still really miss my students in my old school. I miss the strength of their personalities which shine forth on the first day, and the battle of classroom management, and the sense of every single second mattering. Here, it’s a different sort of challenge. I’ve been given the gift of the most intelligent, highly motivated students ever—my shot to see how far they can go. But I miss the urgency.

Excitingly, my school is sending me to an IB extended essay workshop in Warsaw this October! The other option was Dubai, but unfortunately it was in April, and thus too late. I’ve already been to Warsaw. Still, travel is travel, and I’m grateful both for the chance to figure out this EE thing from the experts before I attempt to coordinate it for my entire school, and the chance to pop over to Europe on a funded trip.

It’s going to be a good year.

No comments:

Post a Comment