Sunday, August 24, 2014

Ready, Set...

Data wall at the ready. Awaiting student achievement.
           School starts Monday. For the past two weeks, I’ve been through a slew of professional training and planning sessions, many of which were not strictly applicable to my new discipline of psychology. In fact, my Masters classes, TFA training, and CMS sessions have all made me aware of how very marginalized psychology is in the social studies world. It’s an afterthought stuffed into the back trailers and tagged on to the list of disciplines at the very end of a series of shout-outs when a presenter is trying to figure out why I haven’t raised my hand to identify with a course. It’s cool. I don’t mind my classes lurking in the shadows, and if I have any deep lasting issues about the marginalization of psychology, I’ll take them to my therapist for meta-analysis.

One semester's worth of vocab, already up.
         My trailer is deliciously optimized for student organization. If you’re not a teacher, you won’t understand my delight in knowing how I want my classroom to work and making it all just so. My student organization this semester is, to someone turned on by organization, incredibly exciting. Just look at the pictures and understand my glee.
         Last year at this time, I was freaking out. Right now I feel an exhilarated serenity. True, I’m locked out of my account so I can’t see my rosters or make seating charts, and the computers and internet and projector in my trailer don’t work, and I don’t have enough books for all my students, and we’ve been told that we’re not to teach content the first three days, but you know, I’m okay with that. I’ve got enough of a macro-sense of where we’re going as a class, that I trust the details will find their place.
         In district training, as we sat through two hours of mind-numbing boredom, the district Social Studies guy asked us, “what do you love? What do you really love?” Behind me, an antediluvian teacher muttered loudly, “sex.” Gotta love those teachers old enough not to give one single care.
Well-stocked teacher supply cabinet.
Complete with stuffed... thing... to relieve
student freak-outs. Worked last year.
We were given our duty rosters, and one of the tall male teachers commented that he doesn’t feel safe where his duty is, behind the back trailers. It’s true, but crazy. How can kids feel safe where teachers don’t?
         I’m taking on new leadership roles this year. I volunteered to be the Faculty Advisory Committee member for our department, which means that everyone complains to me and then I meet with all the other representatives across the school and we formulate recommendations to the principal. I feel this will be a highly entertaining, if not necessarily productive, way to spend my evenings.
         Tomorrow I meet my new students! Students! All the blissful complexity of students! Just thinking of the challenges sends a surge of adrenalin through me. Every glue-gun burn and paper cut and the toe I may have permanently maimed by running a cart with 40 psychology books over it feels like a battle scar of love right now.

Can't nobody say they didn't know something was due this year.
Note the interactive student notebook table of contents beside the calendar.
Student organization for the win!
         On Friday, one of my old students was on campus for driver’s ed, and came running across the quad to hug me. She’s the sort who spreads a frisson of mayhem wherever she goes simply by the enormous size of her personality, but we loved each other and I was often able to harness her character into propelling the class forward. She promised to tell everyone where my new room is, and as I finesse my first powerpoints and put the finishing touches on objective clarity, I’m filled by little shivers of anticipation for this school year prompted by her reminder of the connections that teaching offers. I do something that matters, something that I love, and now I know how to do it. Bring it, 2014-2015. I’m ready for you.


P.S. My IB students lack enough textbooks for all of them. You can help. Check out my classroom projects at: 

Course mantra.
Permission to diverge, granted.
Lest they think we're not talking about feminism this year...
Dance, students, dance.

No comments:

Post a Comment