Thursday, April 10, 2014

Could Not Be Happier


The kids can smell freedom. The teachers, too.
Okay, this isn't strictly accurate-- often I LOVE my job.
But it's been a tough ride.
In the movie Mean Girls, there’s a line where the principal quells a riot and then says, “I ought to cancel your Spring Fling.” Here at Crazy Times Charlotte High, we’re waiting to see whether our riot today will mean a cancelled Spring Fling tomorrow. 
Everyone’s praying not; the pep rally was cancelled today because lunch evolved into a full-on rumble (a teacher who works in a main campus building told me she locked her door, she was so nervous). Luckily, out in the trailer park we don’t see much action; the first I knew of the fights was when the principal cancelled the pep rally over the loudspeaker due to “lunch disturbances” and put us on “restricted movement.” A bunch of my students stayed to hang out during lunch, and when one senior was asked if she’s going to prom, she responded, “No! It’s our school, it will be too ratchet.” I protested then that our school's a fine place, but now I realize that was exactly the same time as a riot was taking place on the quad. Can’t nobody wait for spring break!

No comments:

Post a Comment