Thursday, February 6, 2014

Teachers Are Soooo Sexy

Bumped into two of my students after school yesterday, walking hand-in-hand. They’re in two different classes of mine, and I was so pleased that two of my best students are dating that I was totally awkward about it.

“Oh! Yes! Are you two dating, or just doing a weird handholding thing?” (Because who wouldn’t want to share that with their new teacher?)

Sheepish grins. “Don’t tell, okay?”

“Okay!” Little dance in my head. Sometimes my most promising students get into really bad relationships, and end up suspended or dropped out just because of bad influences. Hence the joy, and awkwardness, when two of my high-flyers are together.

Another awkward scenario from today:

In 4th block, students were working in groups on projects. I moved around the room, guiding and answering questions and chatting to build up the relationships that will keep these kids going when other motivation fails. As I walked, one group beckoned me towards their corner. A student whom I find adorable with his mini mohawk and high-pitched voice took the lead:

“Ms. W, are you, like, single?”

Raised eyebrow. “Is that connected to the development of Buddhism?”

“No, like, are you married?”

“Nope, I’m not married.”
 
Dunno about you all, but this is totally my pose during INM.
I find it promotes student engagement.
They digested that information, and then pursued it further.

“Do you know Ms. J from English and Ms. LB from science?” Affirmative nod. “They’re single too.”

“Are you trying to set us up?” They all cracked up. “Thought not. Good. Now back to work.”

As I moved away, I heard the ringleader whisper: “teachers are sooo sexy.” I fled across the classroom as his friends pummeled him on the arm—“du-ude, she was still behind you!” “She could hear you!” I know I’m supposed to put on a stern face and go “inappropriate!” in an angry voice, but I was so torn between laughter and squealing “ewwww, gross!” that I just couldn’t muster it up. 


The boy did speak truth: Teachers are sooo sexy.  Just not to ninth graders, we hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment