Monday, August 26, 2013

They PAY me to do this?

Totally trying to be cool, but I think I look like this
I don't have time for a proper post, but it was the first day of school today, and it's the most fun I've ever had. My homeroom is seniors, and a chevra in the middle were all set to heckle but settled down pretty soon, especially when I impressed them by remembering all their names. When we finished the stuff they had to do early, I got bored and started teaching them my lesson plan for that day. They got really into it, and one stopped at the door to tell me the class was cool, I was a good teacher. They wished me luck with the ninth graders in a foreboding kind of way, but man were they wrong. My kids are fantastic! The first class was tentative, the second committed, the third bold and outspoken. My board is full of their post-its about how they're going to self-advocate in their own education, and what untold pieces of history they want to learn about this year (their answers: the president who was president before George Washington, synagogues, the Korean War, lots of civil rights history). Starting with the 68' Olympics Black Power Salute gave a rollicking start to the year. I am so excited right now! Tomorrow we tackle democracy in ancient Greece. Watch out, world!

No comments:

Post a Comment