Friday, June 14, 2013

Don't Drink the Kool-Aid

So far there’s been a wearisome battology of terms: transparency, check-ins, shoutouts, and applause for vulnerability. The repetitive praise and fluff-language makes me question TFA’s sincerity. I get that we’re being taught strategies to manipulate (yes, I chose that word intentionally) our students into believing that our classroom goals are their classroom goals. But don’t you think that then trying to use those strategies on us might not work as well? Or perhaps everyone isn’t as non-compliant as myself.

Just the thought of this is repugnant to me. All my typos are authentic.
TFA typos are driving me CRAAAAZY! I’m so sick of reading that my basic tenants where good and will help me in my vision from my classroom.  You people are teachers. Teachers! Your students are going to copy what you model. So model well. Be professional enough to proofread. Please. Or else I’m going to invest in a giant sharpie and start doing it for you.

The management style we’re taught relies heavily upon Lee Cantor’s assertive discipline. I love his focus on fixing small problems before they become large problems, and his assertion that heavy teaching of procedures and rules at the start of the year will pay off for the rest of the year. One guy in my advisor group, a black diversity studies major, pointed out that he joined TFA to fight white supremacy and be actively anti-racist, and now he’s being taught by white teachers about how to subdue black students. It’s not entirely white teachers and our students this summer will be mostly Chicano, but I think he does have a point. He doesn’t want to order young black men around in the classroom, because they’re already dealing with a lot of undeserved authority pressure outside. Later, when a white corps member spoke about his discomfort with TFA’s diversity mission statement because it asserted the extra impact a person who shares the identity of their students can have and made him feel less powerful to help his students, this guy gave a wonderful response about the value of coalition-building. Still, I do agree that sharing identity is powerful in role-modeling.

The tornado siren went off at noon on Wednesday. We could see exactly who was from where: all us Midwesterners checked our watches while everyone else freaked out.

On Thursday we tackled diversity discussions. I sat at a table with my two collab partners (both black women) and two of my Charlotte friends (black woman and black man). A fifth woman sat at the table, as well. Chris, who is really outgoing and assertive, looked around at us and asked, “should we move to include more white people? I mean, three of us are black, and (gesturing to one of my collab partners) one of us is multiracial, and Hannah’s…”
“Jewish,” I supplied. Cheri, the Charlotte woman, looked surprised. Chris turned to the last woman at the table. “And you’re…” She shrugged. “Whatever,” repeated Chris. We all laughed. Turned out she was of Portuguese descent. Then we all told Chris he should stop making assumptions. We had plenty of diversity at our table.

Chris decided to take charge and open with religion: whether we had ever been oppressed because of our religions. My advisor was sitting with us, and immediately focused everyone on me: do I feel oppressed because I can’t do stuff with everyone on the weekend? No, I told her. My religion empowers me. It’s when people make jokes about greed that I feel uncomfortable. Amazingly (to me), some of them had never heard the word “kike” before. Chris said he’d never met a Jew before. So I reached across the table to shake his hand.

One of my collab buddies, asked how I felt in TFA as the only observant Jew in the Tulsa institute. I told the group that the thing that really makes me jealous was watching all the people of color head out together after a diversity session to debrief with people that get them, and having nobody with which to debrief about the most salient part of my identity. Chris suggested that I join the Charlotte African American table at the dining hall. I've sat at it before, but usually a white friend tags along and the table integrates. At dinner I happened to grab the last seat, completing the minority table setting. I felt as Othered as ever when they exclaimed at my cottage cheese and green pepper and made me explain kashrut again. Still, my induction roomie was there making me laugh (she was all hyped up on caffeine and extolling the value of reading her bible every morning), and a woman I’ve had nothing but interesting conversations with previously, and Cheri from my diversity discussion, so I felt part of it. There’s something empowering about being the only white kid at the black kids’ table.

The rest of that diversity session skittered through gender and then focused mainly on our reactions when our kids use the “n” word or “b” word. Some people thought the words were reclaimed, or appropriated as part of a culture, while others find them forever offensive. I think I’m going to withhold judgment and take the professional approach—don’t use those words in a professional setting. Anyhow, there was plenty of diversity in our little group. Afterwards, the diversity studies major and I traded recommendations on good diversity literature. The man’s a powerhouse of resources, and it’s fun to speak with someone who takes an intellectual approach as well as a practical one.

My collab group spent hours crafting our classroom management plan (all the logistical classroom stuff) and first day plan last night. We see our classroom for the first time today, and then will arrive Monday only an hour before our students. This weekend’s going to involve a lot of chart paper. Our theme is international, and each kid will get a “passport to success” in which we’ll reward their academic achievements with stickers (“stamps”) and good behavior with tickets. I’m hoping none of the kids, who are mostly Latino, will be discomfited if they lack documentation in real life. Every letter we send home MUST be written in both English and Spanish. After TFA made that announcement, I fully expected them to attempt to teach us Spanish in twenty minutes, but even their chutzpah doesn’t extend that far. Behavior management in a day, lesson planning in three hours, but a language lies beyond their capabilities.


I have a weekend (at Tulsa chabad for shabbat) to sleep and plan, and then… our students!

The Charlotte '13 Corps

No comments:

Post a Comment